Picture of Krishna Srikrishna
Re: FAQ for Annual Day Projects
by Krishna Srikrishna - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 01:22 PM

Another question from a coach
Q. Can you give me a sense for what goes in the project abstract ? Any guidelines / examples?

A. Abstract is easier to write when the project is completed as that would be a nice summary of the project results and conclusions. At this time (for April first week) the teachers would like the team to provide a brief outline of why your team wanted to do this project. Please try to explain what issue(s) motivated you or why you decided to choose to do this project and then write down the problem statement or hypothesis question(s). You can describe briefly your plan i.e experiments your team would like to do test the hypothesis. You may state in addition how the results of your work would help solve the problem stated earlier.

Here's an example:
All of us like more powerful and longer lasting batteries, but we wanted to understand whether battery life is impacted by the speed of the current drain? This project looks at which AA battery maintains its voltage for the longest period of time in low, medium, and high current drain devices. The batteries were tested in a CD player (low drain device), a flashlight (medium drain device), and a camera flash (high drain device) by measuring the battery voltage (dependent variable) at different time intervals (independent variable) for each of the battery types in each of the devices. My hypothesis was that Energizer would last the longest in all of the devices tested. The experimental results supported my hypothesis by showing that the Energizer performs with increasing superiority, the higher the current drain of the device. The experiment also showed that the heavy-duty non-alkaline batteries do not maintain their voltage as long as either alkaline battery at any level of current drain.